Thank you to all of you that took the time to fill out my 2017 Legislative Survey. I’m happy to report that we had over 1,000 people respond to our survey this year, either by mail or online.
I really appreciate hearing from my constituents on the big issues we will be addressing this session. Your input gives me a better understanding of which issues and solutions have support, and where people are divided.
Here’s a sample of what the results show:
- Respondents overwhelmingly support end of life choices.
- You support building housing and sheltering homeless in our communities.
- A majority support reducing HTA’s marketing budget.
- Ideas for addressing Hawaii’s high cost of living included tax credits for seniors, property tax reductions and eliminating the GET tax on food. Interestingly, only a minority advocated for “no government action.”
- There is less agreement on funding rail, with close to half of respondents not wanting to extend the rail tax. The majority that do want to extend the rail tax want parameters, such as limiting the extension to 5 years or less and increasing oversight and accountability for the project.
I also appreciate the time many of you took to share your written comments. These comments are valuable and help me do a better job representing you and your neighbors.
Mahalo again for your input.